Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Awesome Courageous Woman

I should have provided this information when I first learned of Sgt. Gale's assault, but I am sometimes a punk when it comes to all things law enforcement. Always hits too close to home.




My father's occupation for the last 34 years has been in law enforcement. He is now the Police Chief of our hometown. My family has suffered through various threats and I have often found myself in fear of my father's life.





In December 2007 Sgt. Courtney Gale of the Athens-Clarke County Police Department was severely injured while working an off-duty job. If you have any knowledge of the pay of police officers you understand their need to work additional security positions. For most of my life my father has done this to supplement his income. And as Sgt. Gale's story tells it always a test of faith that you leave that job unscathed.





I will not provide all the details of the attack of Sgt. Gale by a mentally unstable person in a Kroger Supermarket. Please visit Get Well Courtney for more details. I will say that the fact she is alive today February 20, 2008 is a miracle. Along with that she is alive, but speaking, walking, and rebuilding her life is a sign of God's favor. I recently had the opportunity to visit her at Shepherd's Hospital in Atlanta, GA. I did not know what I would encounter when I entered her room, but I was moved to tears. My father was moved to tears. She is remarkable. And what's more remarkable...she wants to return to work as a police officer! The fact that she is having to re-learn every skill we were taught as a toddler is not shaming, denying or diminishing her desire to serve her community. And for that I applaud her and I am thankful that she is alive to provide her love, concern and care to my community of Athens-Clarke County

No comments: