Monday, January 28, 2008

Choices

My baby sister had a baby boy three months ago. She is eighteen. Of course no one wants a teenage girl to have a child or to be saddled with the life it may bring. Thankfully, my Mom is one of the best people in the world and makes it possible for my sister to attend college full – time and raise her child. It could not be possible without her. Their situation made me wonder about the millions of girls who do not have the support or love that is being given to my family and love that we share with one another. I feel a great deal of compassion, fright, and hope for those out there struggling to raise their child or children alone. And I wonder and worry about the children in that situation. Are they receiving the love, confirmation and support needed to make them a viable citizen to this world? I am afraid that too often they are not.

What are we going to do about this? I try to do my part. There are children in my life that I mentor. Try to help find their way in this maze. But most are older and I can’t help to think what if I could have reached them earlier. Would their choices and life be impacted in a more positive manner? Could I have saved just one of them from making a bad choice?

But what does it say that I could not help my sister? She made her decision and it was a conscious one. My nephew is not a mistake. He was a choice. Her choice. All I can do is advise her on her choices and help her walk through the maze she has made. Maybe that’s all I am doing with my kids. Because they have already made their choices.

No comments: