Monday, June 2, 2008

Natural Hair

A well written article about natural vs. straight hair on Black College Wire.



A small excerpt.




Hair Debate Rages On as Natural Styles Take Root

By Ashley McDonald - Black College Wire


Each morning at the start of the day, two women prepare to perform their daily beauty rituals.
One woman reaches in her drawer and pulls out her flat iron to smooth out her chemically-straightened tresses. The smell of oil and burning hair rises to the ceiling. Once done straightening, a cloud of oil sheen surrounds her head. The fog clears and after 30 minutes in the mirror, her hair is finally presentable.


Just down the street, the other woman stares into her bathroom mirror. She does not have a bone straight mane resting on her head. Instead she reaches for her afro pick, detangles her tight coils, applies some natural oils to her kinky mane, ties her headband securely and marvels in the beauty of her natural texture.


When it comes to African-American women, hair can be a touchy subject. Some women cling tightly to the implications that surround having long silky hair, while other women choose to display what nature placed on their heads.



For more go here---->



What are you rockin'?

2 comments:

Poetic Genesis said...

Thanks for sharing. That was a great article. I've been natural (again) for a couple of months after having been natural for 10 years. It only took me 8 good months of dealing with my funky-textured relaxed hair before I decided I had made a HUGE mistake.

It only took a second to grab my clippers and do what I did...lol But I felt so like 'ME' again and I missed that part while I was relaxed.

The only thing I disagree on is how it stated that "with the right products and the right beautician, natural hair is more manageable."

I've noticed, for the most part, that beauticians become an unneeded expense once you go natural. Here me out... I'm a licensed cosmetologist but my mother (who is also natural) knows MUCH more than me about caring for natural hair. There is so much information available and just common sense things that can be practiced to have manageable and HEALTHY hair. My mother even makes her own scalp conditioner (from regular kitchen necessities) and I haven't purchased any OTC products for hair , besides shampoo, since.

I know I'm babbling but I love natural hair and everything that comes along with it. LOL

Genesis

Unknown said...

Like you the part about finding a right beautician and products bothered me too. I never go to a salon and didn't when I had chemicals in my hair except for a trim. A lot of product and messing around in my nest never works. I know what works.

Reading about hair and doing my own experiments have shown me the way to healthy hair.

When I rocked the fade I loved the sound of clippers. It made life so easy.

You are going to have to give some of your Mother's tips. I love trying new things.