Monday, June 23, 2008

My Life~Street renamed for Slain Lawman

This act that occurred December 15, 2000 hits home for me. I come from a law enforcement family. I can honestly say that he has always done what he thought was right and just. (Come on, he showed no preference when my brother lost his mind. He never fixed a ticket for me...I have had many. Pulled over for spending 6 times in a 2 year period.) And I never use his name because he won't back my play. He always said "I will leave you there" and I don't doubt him. I have seen it.

But the flip side of law enforcement. The side we don't see. You know what we see, the cops beating the shit out of people. The cops planting evidence. The cops asking for favors to get out of trouble. That's not him. But what is him. Arresting people who promised they would get even. They would seek revenge in the best place. The family.

I have been on that end. When I received a phone call saying I needed to be extra aware because some fool was out and wanted to punish him. More times than I can count. I have been watched by the law to make sure I got home safely from school or work or wherever I was going. It has happened and I know that it will continue to happen. It's the life.

So I am thrilled to see this road in Dekalb. Unfortunately, the crime was committed by someone also in law enforcement but it does not diminish the fact that it is real. Speak to any other family in law enforcement. They will tell you.

To read up on why this street was name view the following links...

Wikipedia

Homepage

NY Times

AJC

Tell me what you think. I am wrong to feel this way? Have law enforcement tainted life so much for Black America that they cannot accept and have passion?

No comments: