Thursday, April 24, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCESS DIANA...

Today @ like 4.08 pm my baby sis turns 19. Let me tell you the story leading to her arrival...


My father always believed in slave labor. That's why he had children. I really believe this. Every summer we had to bleach and repaint the house. A 3-story house. And he never would rent a pressure washer...hell, that would be toooo easy. You know those spray pumps people use to spray weeds?

Yeah, that's what that old white man had us doing. (He is not white but I call him that 'cause he's actually lighter than me and he got a lot of white folks on his side.)


I digress...so that summer my Moms is sick the entire time. Between the paint and clorox she was all messed up. Now me with my 6 grade sex education class told her she was pregnant. She ignored me...after all she is in her 40's. (That's why her Mom's youngest sister is only 1 year older than my mom and my Daddy's Dad was in 60's when he was born.) Now, you have to understand my personality...especially at that age...I KNEW everything. And had no problem telling you, explaining to you, or whatever I had to do for you to understand that. I knew. I was also a nosey little heifer. If you walked in with bags, I was going through them. (I have since checked that urge...TMI is often found.) So guess what I find in the bag? Yep, a pregnancy test. I look at my Mom and was like "I already told you that." I am saying all this but I am not comprehending it. I am not thinking a baby is coming. I am just right. That's as far as my brain will allow it. I hear my father say, "Sandra, do you think you are?" and I just roll my eyes.

Transport 3 days later. My parents call my brother & I to the dining room table. We never have meetings nor do we sit there for a discussion. I blame the Cosby's. My Mom drops the bomb. "I am pregnant." In quintessential teenage form I slam my hands on the table and yell out "I told y'all to stop doing that!" I was dead serious. I told them to stop. Been told them to stop. I was 12. I know better now.

I did not speak to my Mom for months. I was sooo pissed. I came around when it was time to buy clothes and things for the baby. Especially when we found out it was a girl. My Daddy named her after the Princess. And she has truly grown up believing she is a Princess. Try and tell her different. The look is priceless.


But let me tell you the really screwed up part about all of this. A week or so before this grand announcement I was at my gym with my coach and she said, "Wouldn't it be funny if your Mom got pregnant?" I immediately said, "No." She cried laughing so hard when I told her Mom was pregnant.


Now I have no idea what I would do without her. I know for a fact I probably would not be as close to family as I am now. I would not have my beautiful nephew who turned 6 months yesterday. Nor would I have someone who believes I am the shit like she does. I have enjoyed her transformation from someone who believed being ignorant was cool to someone who wants to learn and surpass her potential. Love you, Bookie

6 comments:

Don said...

great read, moody. filled with wisdom and humor. enjoyed it. great pictures as well. beautiful pictures, actually.

happy bday to your baby sis.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I won't tell her you think the pics are beautiful...her head is big enough!

Eb the Celeb said...

Awe... cute pics!

Miss Marie said...

awwwwwww big sis. That's so sweet. :) thank you so much. oh yeah, and the picture of your mom prego is FUNNY hehehehe

Poetic Genesis said...

That's cute! I call my little sister bookie too...lol She's 17 years younger than I am.

Happy belated Princess Diana!

Don said...

my older sister's nickname is bookie. LOL.

and i see that princess di made a guest appearance.